Thank you for your interest in employment at Heidman Law Firm and Whorley Heidman Law Firm. We take pride in our heritage and continued commitment to excellence in legal service. Our cumulative history and dedication to upholding the ethics and integrity of the legal profession make Heidman Law Firm and Whorley Heidman Law Firm a rewarding place to work. Please continue to visit our site for job postings that may relate to your experience and talents. Two positions are open now: Legal Secretary and Paralegal. Please see details below. Qualified applicants should email a letter of introduction and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Legal Secretary - Sioux City & Sheldon (2 Positions)
Reports directly to Firm Administrator and is responsible for:
- Provide general legal secretarial support to assigned attorney(s), including, but not limited to, transcription and other document preparation in Word, proofreading, copying, scanning, faxing, mailing/shipping, filing, and telephone support.
- Maintain attorney’s calendar.
- Ongoing maintenance of case lists
- Open, sort, scan, and deliver mail.
- Serve as notary public
- Schedule conference rooms for attorneys’ meetings with receptionist. Set up beverages and food as required. Clean conference room after meetings.
- Ensure that attorney(s) have necessary office supplies.
- Back up other secretaries when needed.
- Back up reception desk when needed.
- Provide new file information and file information updates to ensure file opening and proper conflicts checks.
- Organize and close out files. Assist in transfer of files to storage. Assist in document disposal.
- Work with accounting personnel as needed.
- Communicate regularly with coworkers using Outlook email.
- Comply with firm policies and procedures.
- Attend staff meetings.
- Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor at all times. Respond in a courteous and helpful manner to all client and firm concerns.
- Protect confidential information at all times. Adherence to attorney code of ethics.
- Perform other duties as assigned by attorneys or firm administrator.
- AA Degree preferred, or relative experience required
Paralegal - Sioux City
Reports to assigned Partner and Firm Administrator. Under attorney supervision, are responsible for Paralegal support including, but not limited to the following:
- Preparation, assembly, reproduction, filing, mailing, and delivery of legal documents and exhibits.
- Drafting of routine correspondence and legal documents
- Summary of legal documents and records
- Scheduling of interviews and meetings as required and conduct interviews.
- Ongoing maintenance and thorough knowledge of client files and sub-files.
- Ongoing maintenance of client contacts and information.
- Ongoing docketing, monitoring, and notice to attorney of deadlines and statues of limitations.
- Ongoing maintenance of case lists.
- Discovery response; continuous follow up on all discovery and request matters.
- Legal research, research of facts, Internet research.
- Ability to work independently and use independent judgment in work to be performed.
- Serve as notary public.
- Requests for records and other documents; service of records.
- Publication of legal notices
- Assistance to attorneys in organization and preparation for all aspects of legal process, including court appearances, hearings, and depositions.
- Attendance at document executions, hearings, and trials as required.
- Assistance to fellow paralegals as needs and workloads dictate.
- Assistance to legal secretaries, administrative assistant, bookkeeper, etc. as required to meet deadlines and satisfy client and attorney needs.
- Assistance in training associates, paralegals, secretaries.
- Completion and submission of billable time on a daily or weekly basis.
- Regular communication with coworkers using Outlook email.
- Attendance at staff meetings.
- Protection of confidential information at all times. Adherence to attorney code of ethics.
- Maintenance of a professional appearance and demeanor at all times. Respond in a courteous and helpful manner to all client and firm concerns.
- Performance of other duties as assigned by attorneys or Firm Administrator.
- 4-year college degree; or
- Paralegal certificate; or
- Equivalent work experience with at least 4 years of experience
- Note: this also meets the South Dakota guidelines