Sheldon Office History
The firm was started in Sheldon, Iowa, in 1935 by Paul Wolff. Paul returned to his hometown after graduating from the University of Minnesota Law School in 1935.
Paul’s father had deep roots in Sheldon having moved there from Mankato, Minnesota in the early 1920’s. Theodore Wolff, Paul’s father, was the founder of the very successful department store known as Wolff’s. Their slogan was “Outfitters of the Entire Family.” The store carried all lines of men and women’s clothing.
Paul’s father died unexpectedly when Paul was a young boy. His brother took over management of the store and Paul went on to college and law school at the University of Minnesota. After graduation, Paul worked part-time at the store and part-time at his law office for several years and in 1938 became a full-time lawyer. His office was on the 2nd floor of a main street building that in the 1930’s housed all of the Sheldon lawyers. In 1957 the Paul Wolff Law Office was moved from the 2nd floor of this building to the north side of the Iowa Theater building.
In 1973 Thomas J. Whorley joined the firm and in 1978 Jack De Hoogh also joined the firm and the firm was located to 218 Ninth Street. The firm operated from that location until 2002 when it moved into the Security Professional Plaza building where it maintains its current location.